Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Another Message from Grampa Jack

A Message From Grampa Jack:

I just returned from being with Amanda, Dan, and Susan at UCLA Medical Center. I arrived the day before Amanda's second surgery on November 10 and I was a grumpy grampa ( special spelling since all my grandchildren use grampa and not grandpa ) because Amanda was not doing well. Seeing Amanda suffering from the set-back after expecting progress from the first surgery startled me until I saw her finally smile. This precious little girl smiled even when in tremendous pain.

I'm grateful to report that when I left Monday, Amanda was dressed in a little purple outfit, smiling at everyone, waving a spinning wheel and glowworm toys, kicking her little feet, and grabbing my glasses. I had a difficult time leaving but I knew everything really was safe when a legion of doctors, nurses, and care partners came in to say good bye and wish the family well. Everyone was amazed to see how the second surgery had helped Amanda.

Grandfathers are biased about how much they love their grandchildren. Unashamedly, I am at the top of the grandparent bragging list in proclaiming how much I love all of my little people. Amanda is the youngest, by 2 days.

Family and friends from around the country were important in helping us get past the bumps in the road. Your words, special prayers, and encouragement were heard and felt. Sometime in the future, I hope you will be able to visit with Amanda and experience her extraordinary personality. When she looks at you she makes you feel like you are the most important person in the world.

I thank all of you who took the time to read the amandaiupdate.blogspot.com, leave messages of comfort and encouragement, pray and wish the best for this special little girl. You are an inspiration to Amanda's family. Just knowing that you cared and wanted the best outcome was meaningful.

I'm grateful to the UCLA doctors, nurses, and team members who cared for Amanda for over 5 weeks. I have never seen nurses provide the depth and amount of patient care that Amanda received. They were just magnificent in every way.

Dan and Susan always have been great parents, but they have been the most loving, patient, and giving in how they have handled the long stay in California. They are a team focused on Amanda's care and recovery, while also keeping Katie as close as possible. Katie is being cared for by her Hermanson grandparents, doing great in school and misses her baby sister and parents. We all can't wait to hear that Amanda, Dan, and Susan are back home with Katie .

Amanda will be healing and taking on new challenges in the future. Someday she will learn about all the wonderful people who helped her, prayed for her, and paused for a moment to wish her the best. I believe she is going to grow up helping others do their best.

Finally, I want to thank Aunt Heather and Uncle Dana for making this blog available as a loving communication, spiritual, and friendship link. You helped us form a protective circle around a beautiful little girl.

Grampa Jack Ivancevich

2 Comments:

At 11:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Dan, Susan and Families,
Our continued thoughts and prayers are with you as you journey home with your precious Amanda. We can imagine the excitement sweet Katie must feel as she awaits the arrival of her family. As Grampa Jack expressed in his eloquent message, we are all so blessed to be a part of such a loving circle of family and friends.

Much Love and Best Wishes
for a Blessed Thanksgiving,
Michael, Jenny & Family

 
At 2:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Susan, Dan, and Amanda,
We are so very happy for all of you! I heard last night, that you will be returning home tonight. HOW WONDERFUL! I know how difficult a journey this has been for all of you, and your loving families.
God IS a God of new beginnings, and the skill of those able to help Amanda, is truly amazing.
Have a great trip home. I KNOW how much you are loved, and missed, by the rest of your family.
Our PRAYERS, and BEST WISHES ALWAYS,
Karoline, Joan, and Christopher

ps. To Dana: I have heard so much about you, from your family. Thank you giving so many the opportunity to be able to follow Amanda, Susan, and Dan throughout Amanda's care.
Best wiskes, and Happy Thanksgiving, to you, and your family. kk

 

Post a Comment

<< Home