Saturday, October 01, 2011

Saturday 10/1 Update

So Amanda is still having 4-6 seizures a day but she continues to be the amazingly resilient child she always is. She is in good spirits and is actually quite funny. She teased Katie like crazy today telling me that she loved everybody but Katie and then admitting she was only saying "no" to the question "Do you love Katie" to pull her leg and that she actually does love her a lot :). Funny kid! She busted out laughing at Katie's reactions. We took her with to check out the horses today and she enjoyed being outside in the sun and cool weather. She wasn't a huge fan of the wind though.

Katie enjoyed riding April and seems to be bonding well with her now that she doesn't have MayFlower to ride. I am proud of how well Katie has adapted to the loss of May and how she rests in the comfort of happy memories of great times shared together rather than being overwhelmed with grief.

Amanda is tucked away in bed now and as I watch my sleeping angel rest so comfortably and reflect upon a good day spent together, I wanted to share a few thoughts.

1. Amanda is one of the most amazing gifts that God could have ever given us. She has taught all of us to live in the moment, enjoy God's creation, and be more than satisfied with the little joys in life that can be enormous if you just look for them ... an impish smile, true love ... true unconditional love, a new accomplishment, a snuggle sign, the giggle of a child, a belly laugh, a true friend, etc. She has taught me more about the important things in life than any other person on this earth. Amanda was wonderfully made and is a perfect reflection of God's awe inspiring creation. When I was pregnant with her, four different people came up to me (some who I was not even aware were Christians) and each gave me the same scripture. What are the chances of that? Each time, the scripture was Psalm 139: 13-14 which tells us "For it was you who formed my inward parts: you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works that I know very well." She has touched so many lives in just 7.5 years, more than most of us will likely touch in my lifetime, and it has been a privilege to see how God can use what some see as imperfection in such a perfect way. We look forward to seeing how He choses to use her for the next 70 years :)

2. Even though none of us wanted to see her seizures come back, "we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose" so we know He will use the current situation for good. We are confident that God has already used her in wonderful ways and that He holds her in the palm of His hand and will continue to use her in wonderful ways. Luke 12:6-7 tells us, "Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten in God's sight. But even the hairs of your head are all counted. Do not be afraid: your are of more value than many sparrows." We know Amanda and all of us are loved and valued by God and He knows what He is doing and we trust in His perfect plan. While we do not know God's thoughts for Isaiah 55:8-9 says "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,declares the LORD. As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts", we know that this experience will used by God for good. My hope is that it will turn out to be a wonderful opportunity for Amanda... maybe they will be able to stop the seizures for good so that she can come off all meds, maybe she will start talking more and walking idependently if they can fix the spot that is triggering the seizures.... there are a lot of hopeful aspects to having experts evaluate her again.

3) We are so incredibly blessed in so many ways. We have wonderful family and friends who have been so supportive and helpful. It is humbling how many people have reached out with words of encouragement and offers of assistance. Thanks so much to all of you wonderful people! We are also blessed to have the support of our leaders at work. The administration at UNCW is and has always been tremendously supportive. We can feel the power of everyone's prayers as they lift up Amanda in prayer. Amanda is a tough as nails fighter with a work ethic second to none. She loves to work at her therapies and is thrilled when therapists show up to "play" with her (as she views it). Her spirit is incredible.

In closing, we had a good day today, a good day indeed. There is joy to be experienced in every day. Amanda finds a way to have fun every single day and she inspires us to do the same. Today was fun, full of love and laughter, and lived to the fullest. My hope is that we all have the same type of day tomorrow and the next ... filled with love and laughter and finding ourselves appreciative of God's amazing creation.
Love to all,
Susan

5 Comments:

At 10:13 AM, Blogger AlyB said...

I am overwhelmed by your positivity and somewhat shamed by it as well. Life is definitely how you view it to be. Through all your struggles you have taught me that. I am grateful to be a part of your life and to know Amanda and Katie. You and your family will remain in my prayers.

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger Susan Hermanson said...

Love you Aly :) We are honored to have you on our lives too. Amanda is a fighter and we are ready to go get her the help she needs. Thanks for all of your friendship, love, and support ... and most importantly prayers, the strongest medicine out there.

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger Shane Hartley said...

Susan, I am so encouraged and inspired by your faith. I'm praying for your trip to UCLA and fruitful help for Amanda.

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Susan Hermanson said...

Thanks Shane for the prayers and support. We really appreciate it and we can definitely feel the power behind the prayers. We leave in a few hours and definitely have the peace that surpasses all understanding. See you soon...

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger Vanessa said...

Hi Susan! I am the sda-dl teacher at Codington and co teach with Jenny Simpson. I have heard so many wonderful things about Amanda and your family. It is really nice to finally see what your little angel looks like! Thanks for sharing your story, I am always so intrigued by the families I work with. I know God has blessed your family.
Vanessa Bishop

 

Post a Comment

<< Home